Mosquitoes are a common summer pest. They can be annoying and irritating, but they can also carry diseases. While most people know that mosquitoes bite in the evening and at night, many do not know where these pests hide during the day.
This article will explore where mosquitoes like to hide during the day and what homeowners can do to prevent them from entering their homes.
In The Basement
Basements can be a dark and moist place, making it the perfect hiding spot for mosquitoes during the day. Basements are often used as a storage space for items like bicycles, lawn mowers, and holiday decorations. These items can create the perfect environment for mosquitoes to reproduce.
Mosquitoes are attracted to standing water, which can be found in buckets, flower pots, or even pet bowls. If you’re going to be storing any of these items in your basement, make sure to empty them regularly so that mosquitoes don’t have a place to breed.
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO PROTECTION: Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Rechargeable E55 creates a 20-foot zone of protection against mosquitoes. Ideal for the backyard, poolside, patio, deck, and more. Easy to use, one button keeps mosquitoes away.Active Ingredient: Metofluthrin
- HEAT-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY: Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with up to 5.5 hours of continuous mosquito protection per charge. No fuel to monitor and replace. Emits scent-free repellent that drives away mosquitoes.
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like citronella. Enjoy max protection in 15 minutes. Unscented, liquid repellent cartridges are easy to replace.
- ADVANCED REPELLENT: Independently tested and EPA reviewed for safety & effectiveness. Repels tough mosquitoes, including those that may transmit Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, and Zika Virus. People and pet friendly.
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend warranty to 3 years with registration (automatic 2-year warranty included). Backed by Thermacell Guarantee when shipped and sold by Amazon, if purchased on Amazon.com. Includes repeller, 12-hour refill, and USB charging cable.
Another way to keep mosquitoes out of your basement is to install screens on the windows and doors. Make sure that the screens fit tightly and are in good condition so that mosquitoes can’t get inside.
In The Attic
Attics can be a haven for mosquitoes because they are dark and warm. Mosquitoes like to hide in the attic during the day, and they will come out at night to bite people and animals.
In The Ceiling
Mosquitoes like to hide in dark, moist places during the day. One of their favorite spots is the ceiling. They can often be found near light fixtures or in the corners of a room. ceilings provide a perfect place for mosquitoes to hide because they are warm and humid.
- Powerful Bug Zapper Lamp: Sahara Sailor bug zapper lamp has an 5W ultraviolet light that emits a wavelength of 365nm, which will effectively attract bugs, mosquitoes, and other harmful insects to effectively kill them with a 4000V electric shock grid.
- Wide Coverage Area: The coverage of this highly effective mosquito zapper lamp is 35 square meters. This zapper can cover outdoors and indoors to kill bugs and create a bugs and insects free environment for you.
- Safe Design: Made from high-quality ABS plastic without any harmful chemicals it is perfectly safe for kids, pregnant women, and your loving pets. Our outer grill is 7mm which will prevent any accidental shock. Without any noise or interference, this zapper is perfect for you at night time.
- Weatherproof & Durable: With an IPX4 rating on the top lid with a hanging hook you can hang this outdoors whether it's raining, snowing, or sunny. The lamp has a lifespan of up to 5000H that will last a very long time. Sahara Sailor zapper is made from durable materials that can withstand harsh environments.
- Easy to clean: To get the best result from the lamp hang the zapper at 20-100cm height to ensure the lamp can cover the space effectively. It collects the dead insects and bugs and the bottom of the removable tray. You can remove the tray and pull the one-pull cleaning pole to clean the dead insects effectively.
In The Windowsills
Reasons why mosquitoes might hide in the windowsills during the day is that they may be seeking refuge from the sun. Mosquitoes are cold blooded creatures, so they need to find a cool place to hide during the day. The windowsill is a perfect spot because it is shaded and cool.
Another reason mosquitoes might hide in the windowsills is because they are looking for a place to lay their eggs. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, and the windowsill often has small amounts of water pooled up in the crevices. The eggs will hatch and the new mosquitoes will be able to get right to work spreading malaria and other diseases.
The reasons why mosquitoes like to hang out behind curtains because it provide shelter from the sun and heat. Mosquitoes also use curtains as cover to avoid being seen by predators and humans and use it as hiding spots to wait for their next blood meal.
There are a few reasons why mosquitoes like to hide behind furniture during the day. For one, it’s cooler and darker behind furniture, which is ideal for mosquitoes since they prefer cool temperatures and like to avoid the sun.
Additionally, furniture provides camouflage for mosquitoes; by hiding behind furniture, mosquitoes can fly around undetected and bite people without being noticed.
In Electrical Outlets
One of their favorite hiding spots is inside electrical outlets. The insects are drawn to the warm, moist environment inside the outlet, and they can easily hide there from predators and parasites. Outlets also provide a safe place for mosquitoes to rest between feeding bouts.
In conclusion, mosquitoes can be found in many different places in the house during the day. Some of these places include in corners, on ceilings, and on walls. It is important to be aware of these places so that you can take the necessary precautions to avoid being bitten by a mosquito.