Mosquitoes are a common summer pest. They can be annoying and irritating, but they can also carry diseases. While most people know that mosquitoes bite in the evening and at night, many do not know where these pests hide during the day.
This article will explore where mosquitoes like to hide during the day and what homeowners can do to prevent them from entering their homes.
In The Basement
Basements can be a dark and moist place, making it the perfect hiding spot for mosquitoes during the day. Basements are often used as a storage space for items like bicycles, lawn mowers, and holiday decorations. These items can create the perfect environment for mosquitoes to reproduce.
Mosquitoes are attracted to standing water, which can be found in buckets, flower pots, or even pet bowls. If you’re going to be storing any of these items in your basement, make sure to empty them regularly so that mosquitoes don’t have a place to breed.
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO PROTECTION: Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Rechargeable E55 creates a 20-foot zone of protection against mosquitoes. Ideal for the backyard, poolside, patio, deck, and more. Easy to use, one button keeps mosquitoes away.
- HEAT-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY: Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with up to 5.5 hours of continuous mosquito protection per charge. No fuel to monitor and replace. Emits scent-free repellent that drives away mosquitoes.
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like citronella. Enjoy max protection in 15 minutes. Unscented, liquid repellent cartridges are easy to replace.
- ADVANCED REPELLENT: Independently tested and EPA reviewed for safety & effectiveness. Repels tough mosquitoes, including those that may transmit Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, and Zika Virus. People and pet friendly.
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend warranty to 3 years with registration (automatic 2-year warranty included). Backed by Thermacell Guarantee. See packaging for details. Includes repeller, 12-hour refill repellent cartridge, and USB charging cable.
Another way to keep mosquitoes out of your basement is to install screens on the windows and doors. Make sure that the screens fit tightly and are in good condition so that mosquitoes can’t get inside.
In The Attic
Attics can be a haven for mosquitoes because they are dark and warm. Mosquitoes like to hide in the attic during the day, and they will come out at night to bite people and animals.
In The Ceiling
Mosquitoes like to hide in dark, moist places during the day. One of their favorite spots is the ceiling. They can often be found near light fixtures or in the corners of a room. ceilings provide a perfect place for mosquitoes to hide because they are warm and humid.
- HIGHVOLTAGE PEST/INSECT ZAP LIGHT- High-efficiency, non-clogging killing grid. Impressive highvoltage grid with 3-4 times higher power than alternative bug zappers, provides more reliable and effective indoor and backyard bug control. 960 SQ FEET COVERAG
- 2022 ADVANCED BUG ZAPPER -UV light bulb replacement supported - Easy to set up out of the box. Stop Mosquitos in Their Tracks. - Keep insects at bay with the US-tested mosquito killer and additional reusable, Uses an 18W High-Efficiency mosquito killer UV light attracts mosquitoes, flies, moths, and other insects with the particular (365 nm) wavelength, and then zapping them by the high-voltage grid
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR BUGS SOLUTION - Continuously eliminating mosquitoes when one is not in the bedroom. When you go home you can enjoy a good sleep in your room without the disturbance of mosquitoes. Features Photocatalyst design The futuristic design makes these mosquito lights both protect and decorate your room.A great choice for homes on larger lots that want to enjoy an insect-free outdoor environment
- CHEMICAL-FREE FAMILY PROTECTION - Keep your family & pets safe and your home bug-free without fear of harmful chemicals and pesticides. No smoke, no smell and no sound. Your sleep will not be disturbed because of the presence of these mosquito lamps, because the Sahara Sailor Bug Zapper produces noise, smell. Eco-friendly and safe This anti-mosquito lamp is 100% safe for use and is made of strong ABS material
- SAFE WEATHERPROOF EASY TO CLEAN - This bug lamp features a fire-proof weatherproof and anti-flood design; built for indoor and extended outdoor use (comes with a hanging hook); cleans in just 3 steps. Remove insect debris once a week: just pull out the collection tray of the electric bug zapper and get rid of them. Convenient bonus brush makes cleaning the best, even easier than a racket, fly swatter, or repellents and faster
In The Windowsills
Reasons why mosquitoes might hide in the windowsills during the day is that they may be seeking refuge from the sun. Mosquitoes are cold blooded creatures, so they need to find a cool place to hide during the day. The windowsill is a perfect spot because it is shaded and cool.
Another reason mosquitoes might hide in the windowsills is because they are looking for a place to lay their eggs. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, and the windowsill often has small amounts of water pooled up in the crevices. The eggs will hatch and the new mosquitoes will be able to get right to work spreading malaria and other diseases.
The reasons why mosquitoes like to hang out behind curtains because it provide shelter from the sun and heat. Mosquitoes also use curtains as cover to avoid being seen by predators and humans and use it as hiding spots to wait for their next blood meal.
There are a few reasons why mosquitoes like to hide behind furniture during the day. For one, it’s cooler and darker behind furniture, which is ideal for mosquitoes since they prefer cool temperatures and like to avoid the sun.
Additionally, furniture provides camouflage for mosquitoes; by hiding behind furniture, mosquitoes can fly around undetected and bite people without being noticed.
In Electrical Outlets
One of their favorite hiding spots is inside electrical outlets. The insects are drawn to the warm, moist environment inside the outlet, and they can easily hide there from predators and parasites. Outlets also provide a safe place for mosquitoes to rest between feeding bouts.
In conclusion, mosquitoes can be found in many different places in the house during the day. Some of these places include in corners, on ceilings, and on walls. It is important to be aware of these places so that you can take the necessary precautions to avoid being bitten by a mosquito.